Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Helen Gurley Brown: I address everybody as "pussycat"


Helen Gurley Brown
Just a small-town girl from Arkansas, Helen Gurley Brown became editor of Cosmopolitan and liberated women's magazines with her spunk and sexual brashness. Proving that good girls may go to heaven but bad girls go everywhere. 

Helen Gurley Brown with her husband, David Brown


Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Cleopatra. She was a good boss and had a good love life.
What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Not doing what they say they will when I need them to do it. Not returning phone calls is another.
Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I address everybody as "pussycat," but nobody minds, and it's a nice term of endearment.
What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
My husband's overtipping. He carries only $20 bills in his pocket.
When and where were you happiest?
I'd say right now. I'm married to a pussycat and still have a good job with the Hearst Corporation. There are now 59 editions of Cosmopolitan all over the world.
Where would you like to live?
Exactly where I am living—the Beresford Apartments, on Central Park West and 81st Street. We have the top four floors of a tower apartment. I'm slightly prejudiced, but I think it's the best apartment in New York.
What is your greatest extravagance?
Hair color. It costs $136 to color, shampoo, and set, but I'm too old to be running around with white hair. Chanel suits are another indulgence.
Who are your favorite writers?
William Shakespeare, Nora Ephron, and Joan Didion.
What is your motto?
"Get up and do it if it needs to be done, even if you hate it!"

a 1970 Cosmopolitan cover
 the whole interview here

1 comment:

  1. She's certainly very confident and although I never read Cosmo, I appreciate her honesty. Great answers! xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete